November 29th 2007 I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for…Screen?
I learned how to use
screen today. It’s a Linux program that lets you detach programs from the terminal. In simple terms, it lets me start a program, then log out of a machine—and still have that program running! Way cool—wish I had known about it before!
For those interested, using screen is simple:
- In a terminal window, type
- Type the command you want to execute.
- Hit ctrl-a, then type d.
- Voilà! The program is now detached. It should say
[detached]in your terminal.
- Log out. Don’t worry—your program is still running!
- Log back in. Open a terminal window and type
screen -r. You should see your program running!
- Repeat steps 3-7 as desired.
(Oh, I forgot to add—much thanks to Chris Kenna for this helpful information!)